➡ Ace a test – to get a perfect score or to do very well on a test
• Example – I’m going to study real hard so that I can ace the test.
➡ Blow something – to do something poorly, to fail something
• Example – I can’t believe I blew another test. My grades are going down the tube.
➡ Know-it-all – someone who annoyingly thinks he knows everything
• Example – Max is such a know-it-all. He thinks he knows everything.
➡ Brush up on – to review
• Example – We need to brush up on our Spanish since we are going to Mexico next month for vacation.
➡ Hit the books – to study
• Example – We really need to hit the books if we want to do well on the exam on Friday.
➡ Draw a blank – to suddenly forget
• Example – I missed that test question, but I totally knew the answer. I just drew a blank.
➡ Drop out – to quit school or someone who quit school
• Example – Man, I’m tired of school. I think I’ll drop out and do a little travelling.
➡ Teacher’s pet – the teacher’s favourite student
• Example – Mary is totally the teacher’s pet. He gives her a good grade no matter how poorly she does.
➡ Play hooky – to skip class, to be absent from class without permission
• Example – Mark and Janet got caught playing hooky. Now they’re in trouble with their parents.
➡ Pop quiz – a surprise quiz
• Example – The teacher gave us a pop quiz today. I think I blew it.