The word “good-bye” is a contraction of “God be with ye.”
How do you say goodbye in slang?
● (informal): catch you later, bye, bye-bye, see you, so long, ta ta, tatty bye, toodeloo, TTFN, ttyl.
● (formal): adieu, adios, farewell.
● (slang): buh-bye, hasta la vista, hasta la vista, baby, later, laters, keep it real, peace out.
● (UK, informal): cheerio, cheers, cheery-bye, toodle pip (dated)
What’s the difference between goodbye and bye?
● Key Difference: The terms ‘bye’ and ‘goodbye’ are quite similar. They are both parting phrases, which means that they are used when people part ways, i.e. are going their own way.
● ‘Goodbye’ is rather formal, while ‘bye’ is the shortened and less formal way of saying ‘goodbye’.