✔ To keep something in an existing state (from decline, making repairs, correcting problems)
– We need to maintain discipline in class
– I am going to maintain my manly beauty.
– You should maintain your car once a year
– He couldn’t maintain his diet so he turned into a fat bastard.
✔ To affirm an argument (assert):
– He maintained that he didn’t kill the chicken!
-We used to maintain that the world was flat!
✔ To provide for:
– Excuse me, but I have a family to maintain!
● Other examples: (learn some of these common collocations by heart):
– They have always maintained high standards of professional conduct.
– He has found it difficult to maintain a healthy weight.
– The company has done a poor job of maintaining its computer network.
– It was obvious that the house had been poorly maintained.
– She was finding it hard to maintain her balance.
– She still maintains a close relationship with her college roommate.
– It’s difficult to maintain a correspondence when we’re both so busy.
– The pilot was struggling to maintain control of the aircraft.
– The police say that they will do whatever is necessary to maintain law and order.
● Noun: Maintenance:
– The building has suffered from years of poor maintenance.
– The costs of routine car maintenance
– Maintenance of law and order
– Money for the family’s maintenance