● On time = punctual ⏰
– Class starts at 2.30am. Please be on time (punctual) because I like to start “on the dot” (=exactly at 2.30am)
– We have to be on time for the interview!
● In time = not too late/with little time to spare 👌
– We were running and jumped onto the train as it began moving. We were just in time. Thank God!
– I needed to buy some grechka but it was almost 11pm. I ran to the nearest shop before closing time. Thankfully I made it in time and could, therefore, feast on grechka boiled in water that night.
‼ PHRASE: just in the nick of time ‼
– We were running and jumped onto the train as it began moving. We were just in the nick of time. (more natural)
‼ In time can also mean “eventually/some day ‼
– Don’t worry my son. You will understand women in time. Not now but later.